If you (the student) are separated but filed a joint tax return, how is the information reported?

You should complete the FAFSA according to your situation at that time. You should give only your portion of the exemptions, income, and taxes paid if you are separated or divorced at the time of application. Use your W-2’s to separate the income and tax information. If you become separated or divorced after completing the FAFSA, you should contact us - we will help you divide the income and assets appropriately. If you have any questions, please contact your financial aid office for help - Dothan, Montgomery, or Troy. (check under Contact Us at the bottom of the page) If your next years FAFSA information again reports you as separated, we will request documentation.


Article ID: 44266
Mon 12/11/17 4:15 PM
Tue 2/18/20 2:39 PM