What happens if I fail a course?

Failing a Course

Repetition of Courses and Grade Forgiveness


TROY courses may be repeated once for grade forgiveness. The grade of the first repeat will be forgiven (not calculated in the GPA). The grades of courses repeated more than once will be calculated in the GPA. If the course being repeated is required for the program, then the last grade for that course must meet the program requirements.


Students may repeat a course in which they received a grade of "D", "F", or "W". Students who received a grade of "C" or below in the required research course must repeat the course and attain a "B" or higher grade to satisfy the research requirements in their program of study. Both grades will be counted as hours attempted in determining the overall grade point average. See degree program for additional minimum course grade requirements.

Academic Catalogs

Information about Repetition of Courses and Grade Forgiveness can be found in the Academic Regulations section of the Undergraduate Academic Catalog or in the General Regulations section of the Graduate Academic Catalog.

To view all undergraduate and graduate academic catalogs that are available, please visit the Academic Catalogs web page.

Financial Aid

For information about the implications concerning financial aid when a course is failed, please visit the Office of Financial Aid Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress web page.

Academic Probation and Suspension

For information about academic probation and suspension, please refer to the “What is academic probation” response.

Print Article


Article ID: 44654
Wed 12/13/17 8:54 AM
Tue 2/18/20 2:40 PM