Web Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the Web Division?

The team is a collection of individuals tasked with maintaining and continuously enhancing University websites primarily intended for current faculty staff and students, including the MY portal (my.troy.edu). Responsibilities include typical maintenance tasks as well as the design of new sites. Team members frequently contact University staff to request new content. The Web Division works in cooperation with other IT divisions as well as other groups throughout the university.

You may contact the Web Division by sending an e-mail to web@troy.edu or by calling 1-334-670-HELP (4357). Most members of the Web Division work from the IT facility at the Troy Campus in Troy, Alabama.

Does the Web Division manage all the official University Websites?

No. We directly manage the majority of internal web content. The Web Division manages all areas of my.troy.edu. On troy.edu we only manage content that falls under Financial Affairs and Online Education. Our group also maintains the sos.troy.edu and it.troy.edu websites. In addition, many Web-based services, such as Trojan Web Express and Office 365, are not managed by the Web Division though we do provide branding assistance and we can forward any concerns regarding these services to the appropriate staff.

What is the difference between www.troy.edu and my.troy.edu?

The www.troy.edu website is primarily intended for prospective students and specific external audiences. The site may also be referred to as the "Marketing Website", which is its core purpose. The layout and design of the site is determined by Marketing and Communication. The Web Division does not manage this website. Content approval and design changes are at the discretion of Marketing and Communication.

The my.troy.edu (MY) website is the core location for Web content relevant to current faculty, staff and students. The layout and design is determined by IT in cooperation with administrative and academic units. The Web Division performs standard maintenance tasks with this site and publishes content based on requests submitted via the Helpdesk.

How do I request updates to a Website?

Updates to IT managed websites (including all areas of my.troy.edu) should be submitted via our Helpdesk. If you are not sure what information to provide, or have other questions, please send an inquiry to web@troy.edu for assistance. A list of areas managed by IT staff is available on our Current Websites page.

How can we get our Website updated if it is out-of-date and nobody knows who managed it?

You may submit a Helpdesk ticket or send an e-mail to web@troy.edu.

How do I establish a new website?

Visit our Establish a new Website page for details.

Can I have a faculty website?

Faculty Websites are hosted on Spectrum (spectrum.troy.edu). They are not hosted on the other servers, such as my.troy.edu, but we are permitted to link from departmental pages to faculty pages on Spectrum. Faculty may request an account by completing a Helpdesk request. You may also visit the Spectrum Homepage for more information.

Can Students setup a personal Website?

Students may request an account on the Prism Web server by completing a Helpdesk request. More information is available on the Prism Homepage.

Can I add a form to my Website?

A form that will be printed and mailed can be submitted as a PDF file and posted to a Helpdesk ticket for your Webmaster.

A request to have a form that collects data online will need to be created and managed by IT. To initiate this type of request please submit a Helpdesk ticket or send an e-mail to web@troy.edu.

Note that there are restrictions on the collection of private data including Social Security Numbers and Birth Dates that will apply to both types of forms.

Can I add video and/or audio to the MY portal?

Yes. IT will need to review the file size, content, and format before it can be published.

Embedding of YouTube videos may also be permitted if they are hosted in official, University owned accounts.

How do I know where a website should be located?

The majority of content must be located on www.troy.edu or on my.troy.edu. IT or Marketing and Communication staff can assist with determining where the content should be published. Official content includes division, department, and program information. These Websites adhere to specific templates (layout and design).

This type of content cannot be located on Spectrum or other third-party Websites. Individual faculty pages may be hosted on Spectrum.

The MY portal was developed as a location for content that is primarily relevant to current faculty, staff, and students at the University. In general, the information is associated with internal operations. Information intended for prospective students will generally be located on www.troy.edu.

How do I report a problem with an IT-managed webpage?

Faculty, staff, and students should use the Helpdesk system and provide as many details as possible. All others may use the Website Feedback form or send an e-mail to web@troy.edu. Please include the problem that you have identified as well as the Web address where the issue was discovered.

How can I submit comments regarding suggestions for the University Websites?

You may send your comments via e-mail to web@troy.edu or submit them via our Website Feedback form.

What type of information can be sent in a helpdesk ticket when updating a Website?

The Helpdesk provides the option to include a typed note. In addition, file attachments can be added. In most cases, larger amounts of content can be submitted in Word documents or as PDF. Photos will also be accepted.

In some cases users with several large files may need to post multiple updates to a ticket. In rare cases media may need to be hand-delivered on CD or DVD format. Please contact a member of the Web Team if you need to arrange another method of delivery for large files.

How do I get an event published?

For the www.troy.edu Website you will need to contact Marketing and Communication. For MY pages you may submit your requests via our Helpdesk.

Who do I need to contact about establishing a social network account with YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter?

Please contact Marketing and Communication regarding the official use of social networking services.

Can I access a page tracking (analytics) stats for my departmental website?

Yes. You will need approval from your supervisor and the site must belong to your department. Note that if a separate profile has not been established for your specific department then you will only have access to data that begins the day your request was submitted. The Website where the pages will be hosted must support analytics and the ability to provide access to other users.

If you anticipate needing statistics in the near future for reporting purposes we highly recommend that you submit your request as soon as possible. For more information please submit a Helpdesk ticket or send an e-mail to web@troy.edu.


Article ID: 43915
Fri 12/8/17 9:47 AM
Wed 6/12/19 10:24 AM